Location: Guelph, Ontario
Start Date: December 2017
There is a revolution occurring in how clean, fresh, and local greens and herbs are being produced across the globe. Vertical farming is becoming a big player in growing these products and GoodLeaf Farms is setting the bar high. Founded in 2015 in Nova Scotia, GoodLeaf Farms, a subsidiary of TruLeaf Sustainable Agriculture Ltd., uses innovative vertical farming technology to produce ultra-fresh leafy greens all year long, in a clean and safe environment. Our mission is to grow delicious leafy greens, hand-pack them at their peak freshness, and get them on our customers’ plates within hours of harvesting. By producing our greens inside, we eliminate the need for pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides.
GoodLeaf is currently seeking a Technical Writer to join our team of professionals in our Bedford, Nova Scotia office. This is a one (1) year contract position to complete a documentation project.
The Technical Writer will be responsible for the creation of operating manuals and procedures, instructions, and technical documentation in relation to the farm's operations, systems, and equipment.
The key areas of responsibility include:
- The completion and review of technical documents ensuring clarity, style, and consistency of terminology and format.
- Conducting meetings with subject matter experts to gather information, and determine subject material to be developed for publication (i.e. marketing, operations, sales, and engineering).
- Creation of the organization’s technical writing standards and procedures.
- Selecting photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate technical publications and increase the end users’ understanding.
- Manage the flow of information among project workgroups during development, and testing of systems and processes.
- Work closely with operations, engineers, product designers, and developers to understand process and end-product.
- Gather feedback on the usability of documentation, and revise as needed.
- Travel to the Truro and Guelph facilities will be required on occasion.
- The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters or Ph.D. considered an asset).
- Post-secondary technical writing training, or equivalent experience in a technical writing environment.
- 2-5 years demonstrated technical writing experience (i.e. research, publications, journal articles, manuals).
- Experience with software platforms, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and Adobe Suite for the creation of technical documents.
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- Excellent attention to detail, and strong time management skills.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Be creative and can see the big picture.
To express interest in this opportunity, all candidates are asked to submit their cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com by October 11th, 2017.
GoodLeaf is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.